Overseas staff

Frequently Asked Questions

USS provide some FAQs which may be useful when considering your pension options - these are detailed below: 

Where can I find out more about tax in the UK?

The College has a dedicated webpage to assist members of staff joining us from abroad, with a section on the UK tax system 


There is a requirement for the overseas scheme to register with the UK tax authorities (HMRC) and to meet requirements set down by HMRC.  What if the scheme doesn't meet the HMRC requirements or is not willing to register with them?

Unfortunately, if the overseas scheme isn't registered with and approved by HMRC as a 'qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme' (QROPS) then a transfer to that scheme is not possible.

If you wish to discuss your options further please contact the College Pensions’ team