Initiatives to promote diversity
These actions are aimed at addressing inequality and any lack of diversity and inclusion, and will help to address the Gender Pay Gap.
Learning & Development/College overview
- regularly trained HR staff who advise managers on pay at recruitment, promotion and during our annual pay relativity exercise
- equality training on specific topics e.g. Harassment and Bullying, Disability, Mental Health, being an effective Active Bystander
- annual pay relativity review for every member of staff informed by the provision of benchmark data with recommendations moderated centrally
- an independent Remuneration Committee that makes decisions on remuneration for the College’s most senior staff
- the College has an Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Strategy Group that is chaired by the Provost, and membership includes the Deans of each Faculty. The Group is supported by the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Forum, whose members are drawn from across the College community and include staff and students. The Forum serves as a listening post to capture and discuss all manner of EDI issues, and to work on proposals for action that can be presented to the Strategy Group.
- the appointment of an Assistant Provost (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion), reporting to the Provost and with a wider remit than the Provost’s Envoy for Gender Equality
- the College’s behavioural principles for all staff, Imperial Expectations, designed to promote a positive working environment and which are embedded in key processes
- new staff are introduced to Imperial Expectations, and our equality, diversity and inclusion requirements via Imperial Essentials
- centrally-supported diversity networks – for BAME staff, for disabled staff and Imperial 600 for LGBT staff
- activities to elicit views and experiences that are acted upon e.g. the College-wide Institutional Culture project, ‘Have Your Say’ campaigns, the Staff Survey, focus groups to address specific issues
- events that showcase equality and promote inclusion e.g. Women@Imperial Week, Diverse@Imperial Week, celebration of Black History Month, Disability History Month
- College awards to celebrate those whose contributions have supported academic women
- College involvement in the Stonewall Workplace Index and signing up for the
- progressive policies that enhance inclusion e.g. shared parental leave that is available for same sex couples, a Trans policy, dyslexia support, comprehensive mental health and well-being support, counselling support, Harassment Support Contacts, Staff Supporters, grants for carers to attend conferences, flexible working and award winning family-friendly initiatives.