Italian summer cd
A lively, intensive course for absolute beginners giving an introduction to the language and plenty of opportunity to speak.
The basic skills of speaking, reading, writing and listening will be practised but the emphasis is on speaking. A grammatical basis is promoted through active examples and practice, enabling students to build on their own knowledge independently. Close attention will be paid to the needs of the group and help given for specific objectives in Italian.
By the end of the eight weeks, students will be able to cope in a number of practical situations such as:
- introductions, providing basic information about oneself and others;
- learning numbers, days and dates, telling the time;
- ordering drinks and food, reading a menu, handling money;
- shopping for food, clothes, stamps, newspapers etc.;
- reserving tickets and booking rooms;
- describing things and people, habits, hobbies and preferences;
- using the past tense to describe holidays and experiences
The course book, Italian 1 (Palgrave Foundations, 2nd edition) by M. Benetti, C. Murtas and C. Varchetta, is accompanied by two DVDs.
Questions regarding the content and teaching of this course should be addressed to the Italian Coordinator, Dr Sheila Lecoeur, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course will enable those who know some Italian to brush up on their existing skills and make considerable progress in fluency.
The emphasis remains on the spoken language but there will be plenty of opportunity to improve on your structural knowledge of the language and to heighten your reading, writing and listening skills. Grammatical structures will be explained and learned through practice and inter-communication.
By the end of the eight-week course you will be able to:
- describe yourself, your interests and preferences and those of others;
- use the past tenses appropriately to describe your experiences;
- cope with everyday situations with confidence;
- discuss and compare life in town and country;
- discuss communications and use of SMS etc.;
- talk about heath and sport;
- discuss basic topics and communicate with some confidence
To be confirmed by the teacher in the first lesson.